Sunday 4 September 2016

Cruising Ireland and Scottish Islands

Just back from a fantastic new P&O cruise on the Oriana (my favourite ship). Leaving Southampton we sailed to Guernsey for a day in St. Peter Port from where some passengers took tours to discover this lovely island. As I have spent much time there I decided to have a restful day.

From there we cruised to Cork in southern Ireland - again, been there and got the T-shirt so I continued to rest. With tours on the following four days I needed to conserve my strength!

In Dublin I did the city tour and a visit to the Castle. From Belfast it was to see the wonderful countryside, up into the hills, down the other side and along the coast. On arrival at Stornoway it was time to take to the tenders to get us ashore - I was on the fabulous tour across Lewis and on into Harris where I treated my Kindle to a new Harris Tweed cover! The fourth day we sailed into Kirkwall (the Orkneys) where we stayed overnight and, no, I didn't go ashore in the evening because I wanted to see the show on board, but I did take a fascinating tour during the day.

Break time and another day at sea. This time to the Isle of Skye where we were again tendered to the dock at Portree from where it was a lovely circular tour of the countryside. The last day we were anchored at Greenock-for-Glasgow. As I have spent much time there I opted for a day of rest.

Once I have my photos sorted out I will do individual blogs for each port and post them on auntiestravels.blogspot.com.

Why was it so important that I see the on-board show while we were in Kirkwall? The wonderful and ever popular Tom O'Connor was the show. No matter how many times I see/hear him he still makes me laugh - and without swearing or shouting. Thanks, Tom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment