Thursday 16 November 2017

A Day Out to London

The Shard
A few weeks ago I was tempted to take a day excursion to my old home town, London. (I now live on the coast in West Sussex).

On the coach I was seated with another lady who also used to live in the Capital. We were both astounded at some of the changes - old buildings gone, new lumps of concrete and glass, brick and stone and all seemingly within touching distance of one another In other corners old familiar junctions have disappeared. All pretty breathtaking.

So far as our trip was concerned - a bit of a disaster. Dull and wet weather and a coach driver who didn't seem to know the best route to take. Knowing the City of London as well as I do I was speechless when the coach didn't go across Blackfriars Bridge. Not even over the next one down river - Southwark Bridge, but onto London Bridge. As we were heading for the Tower of London which is approached by a road that passes under both of the latter bridges I began to wonder. Once across London Bridge, we turned left to drive back almost to Blackfriars Bridge. Another left turn down towards the river and yet another left turn to connect to the road for the Tower - under London Bridge!

City Hall, home of the Greater London Council
Opposite 'Traitors' Gate' at the Tower of London!

Of course the traffic was nose-to-tail and like a gigantic snail. We were supposed to leave dock at the Tower of London at midday. We arrived at about 12.30. The boat returned for us at 1.00 to collect a group of damp, cold and grumpy people. We boarded, seated ourselves at long tables and were served the most godawful looking meal I have ever seen - and as a world traveller I've seen some pretty awful ones. I went hungry.

We arrived back at the Tower of London at 4.00.  And had to hang around until 5.00 when we could board the coach.



A word of warning if you are planning to visit the Tower of London - coffee shops, eateries etc are GROSSLY over charging. Maybe a good idea to take your own picnic.

Security on the River Thames. 
There was one good thing about the boat trip - a good old-fashioned Londoners sing-song led by three people dressed as 'Pearlies' - as in Pearly Kings and Queen. Not sure whether or not they were genuine as I didn't have a chance to have a chat with them.


Don't think I will be going to London again - too many large buildings which I find claustrophobic, far too much traffic, noisy and full of pollution.

PS - I did take a few photos whilst waiting for the boat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment