Monday 22 January 2018

Last Ditch by Ngaio Marsh

Wow - what a wonderful surprise on Kindle. I found a book by that terrific crime writer Ngaio Marsh that I hadn't read.

'Last Ditch' was published in 1977 - as I wasn't living in the UK at the time hardly a surprise that I didn't know the book. It stars Roderick (Ricky) Alleyn the younger - son of Chief Superintendent Roderick (Rory) Alleyn and Agatha Troy Alleyn (the artist). I have read books when Ricky was a child but in this one he is grown up, trying to write his first book and is set on a small British island off the coast of Normandy.

This is one writer whose books I would happily sit and read through at one sitting. They are very well written and edited - no typos or apostrophes in wrong places. Neither do they have blood, gore and bad language. Sorry to sound old-fashioned!

If you haven't read any books by Ngaio Marsh I urge you to do so. They may be a bit dated but they are so well written that I think we - especially writers - can learn a lot about good writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment