Tuesday 3 April 2018

'I've just met Larry Grayson'


Whilst watching a programme about one of the UK's best ever comedians, I was reminded of an incident in Bognor Regis in 1984 - when there was still a theatre on the Pier.

During the 1970s I was living in Spain but made many trips home to stay with my parents. They were avid fans of Larry Grayson so I was fortunate enough to see him on the telly. What a joy and so good for a belly laugh. No foul language (as these days) and no shouting (again as these days). Yes, innuendo but mostly by his cheeky looks into the camera.

It was interesting to learn of his history, the decades in which he toured the clubs and variety theatres before being 'discovered' for television. I reckon that wannabe comedians could learn a lot by studying Larry.

I returned to the UK in 1984 and was staying with my parents at their home in Hastings. One day I took them on a day trip with Southdown Coaches. On the return journey we made a stop at Bognor Regis. Mum didn't want to go far from the coach park so Dad wandered off on his own. About ten minutes later he returned, smiling literally from ear-to-ear.

'I've just met Larry Grayson!'

Apparently Dad was in front of the pier when a taxi pulled up and a man in a hurry got out and bumped into him. Larry Grayson was late getting to the theatre. He was full of apologies and absolutely thrilled my father. Thank you, Larry.

No comments:

Post a Comment