Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Christmas Season


Some of my best Christmas's were, of course, those of my childhood.  About two weeks before Christmas my parents would put up the decorations and the weekend before the big day we would all decorate the large tree in the lounge.

Usually a set of grandparents would stay with us and sometimes an aunt and uncle.  I enjoyed all of the spoiling - what child doesn't? - but I particularly loved it when my Uncle Ron (Dad's brother) and his wife came.  This was because Ron was a super pianist and played the latest songs and the golden-oldies.  I could have sat and listened for hours.  Probably did!

Christmas wasn't so much fun once I grew up but memorable ones include a Caribbean cruise.  No, not as a guest, but as a crew member who ate in the restaurant with the clients and joined in the evening's entertainment.

Sometimes I take a city break as there are fewer tourists around.  Among places I have visited are Brussels, Bruges, Malta and Lisbon.  I remember in Lisbon taking a stroll along by the river enjoying the sunshine and seeing a lady sitting on her own - knitting.  At first I felt sorry for her then realised that, like me, she was probably enjoying Christmas Day in her own favourite way.

We often read or hear the pundits expounding about single people being lonely at Christmas.  I suspect that most, if not all of them, aren't single and don't realise that not ALL singletons are lonely.  Everyone has their own ideal of the Christmas holiday. 

Sometimes I like a quiet one at home.  This year?  I have 300 pages of the manuscript of another crime novel to work on.  I'm really looking forward to that.  Will I e-publish it?  Of course. 

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year.

[Illustration:  The Creche at Grand Place in Brussels]

No comments:

Post a Comment