Sunday 14 July 2019

Sky Arts Painting Programmes


Two of my favourite television programmes are Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year and Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year. I suspect because art is in my blood – my father was an artist – watercolour, pastel and pencil and I loved watching him at work. Yes, of course, he helped me with school projects!

Portrait Artist of the Year

It is fascinating watching the artists at work. Their models are three celebrities with three painters per celebrity each week. Oils, acrylic, watercolour, pastel, charcoal, pencil and even scratching on metal. Incredible. The winner gets to paint a commissioned portrait of a celebrity. This year it was Sir Tom Jones and, as he was relaxed, I saw a whole other side to him.

Landscape Artist of the Year.

Nine artists a week are taken outdoors to paint – maybe a castle, a house, ruins, gardens, coastline, mountains. As with the portraits a variety of mediums are used. One that recently amazed me was a lady with fabrics and a sewing machine!

………
I don’t envy the judges – artist Tai-Shan Shierenberg, Arts Curator Katherine Soriani and Art Historian Kate Bryan. They have a very hard job, but neither do I always agree with their choices! It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

And the programmes are brilliantly presented by Dame Joan Bakewell and – for a light touch – Stephen Mangen.

Although the programmes are shown on Sky Arts, they are repeated on Channel 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment