Sunday 17 July 2011

A Busy Week Ahead

Yes, very busy. On Tuesday I will be counting swans; Wednesday visiting a castle; Thursday evening attending a beach party in London and on Friday strolling through some fabulous rooms.

As you can imagine, I am hoping for good weather on Tuesday when I embark from Eton Bridge to sail up the River Thames to Cookham watching the Swan-uppers. This is an annual event led by the Queen's Swan Master to count the Mute Swan population, ring the cygnets and, most importantly, check the health of these beautiful birds.

I will be staying in Windsor so that on Wednesday I can make my umpteenth visit to the Castle, the oldest still inhabited castle in the world. (You can read about some of it on my TravelEditor page).

The beach party is a bit of an exaggeration. I've been invited to what I assume is a sales junket for the City of Sarasota on Florida's west coast. I used to live in the adjoining city, know Sarasota very well and, of course, know some of their tourism people. And, naturally, they want more press coverage! (Again, check out my TravelEditor page - so far there are three Sarasota based articles).

The fabulous rooms are those of Buckingham Palace which opens to the public on 23rd July. For sheer exuberance the décor of the State Rooms takes some beating. What a good job there is a 'pause' where you can relax among some of the most famous paintings in the world - in the Picture Gallery. (Guess what? There are two Buckingham Palace articles on TravelEditor!).

This year's special exhibition is of some of the Faberge items owned by the Royal Family. But probably the most popular exhibit will be a very special Wedding Dress. Yes, that worn by Kate Middleton when she married Prince William earlier this year. (No prizes - go to TravelEditor).

Back to the Swan-upping. If any of you are in the vicinity on Tuesday, do give me a wave on the Press Boat! That's the one with the cameras - natch. For details of viewing points go to the Royal Family web site. (www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Pressreleases/2011/SwanUpping).

My link to TravelEditor: www.thetraveleditor.com/authors/6261/Barbara_Bothwell/


People leaving Buckingham Palace from the Bow Room - into the back garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment