Sunday 5 April 2015

Nerve Ends and Essential Oils.

Recently someone on Facebook wondered why putting Vicks Vaporub on the soles of her feet overnight helped to clear her cold.

The answer is simple - nerve ends. Our nerve ends are in our extremities - feet, hands and head. This is why when it is cold we should keep them warm with socks, gloves and hat or scarf. Doing that helps to keep the rest of the body warm.

Feeling stressed? Massage your feet - use a massage oil with a few drops of lavender oil. Lavender is a relaxant. When the arthritis in my toes plays up I dab on some lavender oil - pain goes. My shoulder is aching? Lavender oil. Brilliant stuff. Can't sleep? Couple of drops on the pillow.

I learned about essential oils some years ago when I had aromatherapy for my Repetitive Stress Injuries which affected my wrists/hands, elbows and shoulders. My shoulders were almost in total lock down. These days I regularly put my feet into a foot spa of warm water with Tea Tree Oil (antiseptic) for about 15-20 minutes then massage them. Massage oil with a few drops of lavender, peppermint (to warm the nerve ends) and rosemary which helps to mend damaged tissue.

There are many oils now available so if you want to try them for your ailments, do. Only pure oils may help you. There are a few out there which aren't 'pure' so buy them from a reputable source. Which ones to use? Check web sites - there are lots of them - or find a book.


Most chemists now stock essential oils as well as Holland and Barrett. 

No comments:

Post a Comment